Make Your Own Homemade Pore Strips

Have you ever tried those Biore blackhead remover strips from the drugstore? They work great but they can be  expensive. I’m going to show you how to make your own homemade version for just pennies and with one ingredient.
Here’s what you need:

Knox gelatin. You can find it in the baking section of your supermarket. It’s near the Jello. Make sure you get plain unflavored gelatin and don’t buy actual Jello.

Here’s how you make it:

Take one teaspoon of gelatin

Two teaspoons of water

Mix them together in a shot glass. Then microwave it for 10 seconds.

It looks like goo. Test it to make sure it’s not too hot and smear it all over your nose, chin and forehead (or wherever you have clogged pores) and let it dry. If you smear it on too thinly it will be difficult to peel off. You can help speed up the drying process by using a blow dryer over your face. Make sure it is completely dry and peel it off. You will know it’s completely dry because it will feel really tight. All the nasty gunk that has been sitting in your pores will come up with it. It’s pretty gross yet strangely satisfying. Follow up with a swipe of toner over your face and your favorite moisturizer.

Tips:

• Stay clear of your eyebrows. The hardened gelatin will rip out eyebrow hairs if you accidentally get any on them.
  • Wash  and exfoliate your skin and then steam it over a bowl of hot water to open up your pores before applying the gelatin
  • You can apply the gelatin to your whole face to get it super clean. Once you peel off the gelatin your face will feel super soft. Just be careful if you have sensitive skin because it can kind of have that “ripping off a band-aid” feeling

If you give this recipe a try let me know how it goes!

Vote for me in Go Daddy’s The Big Leap Contest! Watch me pitch my business to Danica Patrick in a race car at 125 MPH then help me win 6 Months Salary to pursue my business dreams!

32 thoughts on “Make Your Own Homemade Pore Strips

1. Sheila says:

Oh my gosh! I saved this post in my phone's RSS feeder thinking maybe one day I'd try it. Today was the day and I am amazed and happy! Had a couple boxes of Knox sittin' around for the last couple years (who knew my son wouldn't like Knox Blox? :-/ ). Followed your instructions, put on the gel, and went about doing dishes. When I got done, I was surprised at how dry the gel got! Peeled like a breeze, just like a pore strip would if you let it dry super hard. I had a little dry skin on my nose from a weekend over-sunning and it took that off, too. LOL! Double benefits! Thank you for posting this! You just saved me $8! :-)

2. Anonymous says:

Its on my face right now and hopefully it works! The only problem so far is that it actually smells really bad…but other than that…so smart!

3. Nicole says:

Just tried this. I definitely did not make it thick enough, and trying to peel it off of my face was quite a task. Don't go sparingly with the mixture! Lather it on well or you will struggle trying to peel it. The parts that I was actually able to peel off did work, thankfully! I saw some of my blackheads on the peelings (gross but satisfactory!) However I still have many left over. Maybe a second round in a few days will help to get the other blackheads.

4. Anonymous says:

I'm trying it out now as well. It definitely feels likes it's working but I cannot get over the smell! Maybe a light colored jello will be better next time. Other than the smell, it's working great!

5. Anonymous says:

I didn't realize that knox gelatine, when mixed with water would smell like baby vomit. I saw another recipe for this but using milk instead of water. Talk about gross. It smells like i just dipped my face in puke but it's very sticky so i think it's going to work :)

6. Princess_Lola says:

Hi everyone :) It seems like a lot of people have tried this with success. I would like to try it, but kindly request some advice. I don't have a microwave, has anyone tried warming gently on the stove, and if so, what setting and for how long? Thanks in advance :) -Amanda

7. Anonymous says:

My mom won't let me use regular gelatine- is it possible to use a vegetarian version instead? Please reply, I am ridden with acne and balckheads. :(

8. Anonymous says:

This is amazing, it's really works but it hurts a little bit when you starts pulling out. Make sure avoid any site with hair like eyebrows, upper lip or side of the face or near hairline. It will rip out all that hair and it will be too painful. Your skin will look and feel so smooth after the treatment.

9. Elwo says:

I just tried this. I added a drop of melaleuca/tea tree oil and that worked with the smell. I also used 1.5 tsp milk instead of water. I didn't really get any blackheads, that I saw, though I don't have many in the first place. I will try it again, but I'll put it on thicker in the places with blackheads (i.e. around nostrils). My skin feels super smooth!