How to keep your plants alive while on vacation

I’ve written before about how I am a notorious plant killer. I was worried my house plants would die while I was on vacation last week. That’s why I’m so glad I came upon this tip from RadMegan. She has a tutorial on using old bottles as “aqua globes” for watering your plants. I have some of those aqua globes for my smaller plants but I didn’t have one big enough for my palm tree. I grabbed an empty beer bottle and cleaned it out. Filled it with water and quickly flipped it over and shoved it into the dirt. The water will slowly release into the dirt. The bigger the plant, the bigger the bottle you can use. I am happy to report I arrived home to all my plants alive and happy!

27 thoughts on “How to keep your plants alive while on vacation

1. OnePerfectDay says:

I've heard about a version of this with plastic water bottles. You have the cap on and you make a hole in the cap for the water to slowly water your plant.
    Same principle I guess.
    But I wasn't sure it worked.

2. janyclaire says:

What a great idea. I have some aqua globes but it never occurred to me to use beer bottles! Of course! It's the same concept. I guess a wine bottle would work for even bigger plants!

3. Adrienne Audrey says:

@One Perfect day: Thanks for letting me know, I'll have to see if there is some sort of glitch

@My Life Under Bus: It would be really funny to have beer bottle out for the animals but if visitors saw them they would think you were completely insane! haha

@Naomi: Depending on the size of the bottle and type of plant it lasts for a few days- week. A bigger bottle like a wine bottle would last longer. You could always test it out before you go out of town to make sure.

4. stan says:

Thanks for the idea ! Corona bottles are my aqua globes. Now my plants get a drink when they want it. And since its a mexican beer bottle my plants now speak spanish !! LOL

5. hwg2g2 says:

Thanks for the great tip! Wish I would have seen it sooner! I came home from vacation and my husband forgot to water the ONE house plant we had. I tried to nurse it back to health with no avail. Poor little guy! His replacement is already thankful!

6. Lincoln Boykin says:

Just ran across your blog as I'm heading out on vacation on Thursday. Just wondering, do you bore out a hole to put the bottle neck in, or do you just shove it in there? I just wonder if there needs to be soil inside the neck, or not? Great idea though. I'm gonna give it a try!

7. Bohbby Chauhan says:

What an excellent idea… Hats Off to you! the moment I saw this idea i just ran n gave it a try to test as I m leaving for 20 days n need to test this… I used 2 ltrs plastic cold-drink bottles…hope it works… Thnx again :-)

8. Zelma Daley says:

think I'll try it on my planters even if I'm not going anywhere. There is a lot of the saving water during the summer going on since it gets so hot in this area. Plants will have a drink and so will I (hey, I gotta empty the bottles for the planters, don't I? What a concept!

9. Anonymous says:

One doesn't have to go on vacation to utalize this idea. It works for busy people, so they don't forget to water the plants.
    Karon