How to keep your plants alive while on vacation

I’ve written before about how I am a notorious plant killer. I was worried my house plants would die while I was on vacation last week. That’s why I’m so glad I came upon this tip from RadMegan. She has a tutorial on using old bottles as “aqua globes” for watering your plants. I have some of those aqua globes for my smaller plants but I didn’t have one big enough for my palm tree. I grabbed an empty beer bottle and cleaned it out. Filled it with water and quickly flipped it over and shoved it into the dirt. The water will slowly release into the dirt. The bigger the plant, the bigger the bottle you can use. I am happy to report I arrived home to all my plants alive and happy!

This entry was posted in DIY and Crafts. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to How to keep your plants alive while on vacation

1. I've heard about a version of this with plastic water bottles. You have the cap on and you make a hole in the cap for the water to slowly water your plant.
    Same principle I guess.
    But I wasn't sure it worked.

2. Oh, and I couldn't access your blog through your profile on Google. Is that just because I'm inept at this stuff or is there some computer glitch?

3. What a simple idea. I will have to try it the next time I go away.

4. LOL! Ok I am imaging I am going on vacation and leaving beer bottles out for all our animals! hahahaha That would be awesome LOL! * Must go put beer bottle in guinea pig cages*

5. janyclaire says:

What a great idea. I have some aqua globes but it never occurred to me to use beer bottles! Of course! It's the same concept. I guess a wine bottle would work for even bigger plants!

6. Kala says:

Great idea…and those beer bottles, definitely tongue in cheek:):)

7. Annette says:

Very good idea! Cheaper than asking the neighbor kids to come over and water the plants!

8. Naomi says:

Great idea! How long does it work for?

9. @One Perfect day: Thanks for letting me know, I'll have to see if there is some sort of glitch

@My Life Under Bus: It would be really funny to have beer bottle out for the animals but if visitors saw them they would think you were completely insane! haha

@Naomi: Depending on the size of the bottle and type of plant it lasts for a few days- week. A bigger bottle like a wine bottle would last longer. You could always test it out before you go out of town to make sure.

10. stan says:

Thanks for the idea ! Corona bottles are my aqua globes. Now my plants get a drink when they want it. And since its a mexican beer bottle my plants now speak spanish !! LOL

11. @ Stan, lol! thanks for visiting!

12. ioana says:

Great way to keep my plants happy!
    Even if I am home :)

13. hwg2g2 says:

Thanks for the great tip! Wish I would have seen it sooner! I came home from vacation and my husband forgot to water the ONE house plant we had. I tried to nurse it back to health with no avail. Poor little guy! His replacement is already thankful!

14. Just ran across your blog as I'm heading out on vacation on Thursday. Just wondering, do you bore out a hole to put the bottle neck in, or do you just shove it in there? I just wonder if there needs to be soil inside the neck, or not? Great idea though. I'm gonna give it a try!

15. Just jam it in there! Tip it over and push it in fast before all the water falls out!

16. Miss Dre says:

I am so glad I came across your blog! I need this for my larger parts next week.

Thanks for sharing!!

17. This comment has been removed by the author.

18. This comment has been removed by the author.

19. What an excellent idea… Hats Off to you! the moment I saw this idea i just ran n gave it a try to test as I m leaving for 20 days n need to test this… I used 2 ltrs plastic cold-drink bottles…hope it works… Thnx again :-)

20. Becca says:

Hello! Thanks for the great idea! My plants thank you this week! I linked back to your blog on my blog today.

21. Zelma Daley says:

think I'll try it on my planters even if I'm not going anywhere. There is a lot of the saving water during the summer going on since it gets so hot in this area. Plants will have a drink and so will I (hey, I gotta empty the bottles for the planters, don't I? What a concept!

22. Anonymous says:

@zelma i like the concept of having to empty the bottles first!

23. Anonymous says:

One doesn't have to go on vacation to utalize this idea. It works for busy people, so they don't forget to water the plants.
    Karon

24. Susan Coates says:

Love! Found this on Pinterest…off to tip it on G+ and Sverve!

25. Anonymous says:

Hey, great idea! Wondering, does this work for avocado plants?

26. Oh my!! You gave me my stomach holding laugh for the day!!

27. Pingback: 24 Creative Uses for Beer Bottles DIY Projects & Creative Crafts – How To Make Everything Homemade - DIY Projects & Creative Crafts – How To Make Everything Homemade